UPDATED SEPTEMBER 9, 2017
Below are the links to the Republican & Democrat Party Platforms, both NM and National:
But first, here is the Bernalillo County Republican Party Platform encompassing our community’s values:
Bernalillo County Republican Party Platform
· The strength of this nation is founded on the building blocks of individualism, family, strong national defense, and the rule of law.
· The Rule of law is paramount in local, state and national laws and must follow constitutionally established principles and must apply to all individuals in Bernalillo County.
· We, the members of the Republican Party of Bernalillo County, support these concepts under the Constitutions of the United States of America and the State of New Mexico.
· Although the Republican Party of Bernalillo County is an independent entity, it supports the national and state party platforms.
· Governments should not act as barriers to the endeavors of public or private enterprises and individuals.
· Simplification of the tax code at all levels of government will ease the burden on individuals and public or private enterprises while equalizing contributions to the betterment of society.
· Individuals have the right to work, and government and private employers have the right to hire, regardless of group affiliations.
· Excellence in education is a cornerstone of Democracy.
· Education of our youth is the responsibility of local leadership, not the federal government.
· A well rounded education in K-12 that includes competency in English and math; American history and science; social studies and arts will best prepare graduates for success as contributing citizens to our nation.
· Healthcare is an individual responsibility, and it should be available to everyone.
· The government should provide assistance to those who cannot, by circumstances, provide for themselves, as determined on a case by case basis.
· Quality and dependable healthcare requires transparency on the part of providers and regulators regarding delivery of services and costs.
· Government mandated healthcare insurance is contrary to individualism.
· Voluntary healthcare insurance should be available to anyone regardless of pre-existing conditions or employment.
Life & Family Issues
· Human life has dignity and should be preserved and protected for the very youngest to the very oldest, regardless of infirmity or disability.
· Public funding should not be used for any service or procedure that ends an innocent human life except to save another life.
· Marriage has been historically instituted as the union between one man and one woman. This tradition should be honored within the state by the consent of the people.
· Civil Rights laws must prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, gender, disability, religion, age and national origin. These laws must be universally enforced, and they include the principle of individual value, respect and dignity.
Immigration and Border Security
· Immigration laws and policies should encourage legal immigration and expedite our naturalization process.
· Our border between New Mexico and Mexico must be secure from illegal entrance of all persons, particularly those dealing in drug trafficking, human trafficking and terrorist activities. Residents in, and government entities of, Bernalillo County must be vigilant to uphold laws and protect the people and businesses.
· No illegal alien in Bernalillo County should be afforded the right or privilege of gun ownership, voting or a driver’s license.
· Local governments must not execute, allow or support electronic or other surveillance of phones, text messaging and emails without a court order with definitions of terms of search.
· The Constitutional right to keep and bear arms for personal security and defense, as well as sporting purposes must not be abridged.
· Government is instituted to provide only those critical functions that cannot be performed by individuals or private organizations.
· Government is best when it is closest to the governed.
· Judicial activism and the use of executive order to create law is unacceptable. These actions undermine the election process, and usurp the authority of a duly elected legislature.
· Voting is the responsibility of all qualified citizens and must ensure the concept of one person, one vote.
· Strict adherence to voting laws and a voter ID provision will help to ensure that the vote of every eligible citizen counts and illegal voting is prevented at all levels of government.
The Party Platforms (the most recent version, shown with year published)
2016 Republican Platform
2015 NM Republican Platform
2016 Democrat Platform
2015 NM Democrat Platform